Since joining Figari + Davenport, Ms. Sotak has gained experience in a variety of cases with a focus in complex commercial litigation. She has experience representing both plaintiffs and defendants in state and federal courts as well as arbitration proceedings involving contractual disputes between business partners, commercial landlord-tenant disputes, and business tort and intellectual property issues. Ms. Sotak also represents insurance industry clients in diverse cases ranging from multi-million dollar claims disputes to title insurance curative and regulatory issues.
Ms. Sotak has first-chair trial experience, and is involved in every aspect of trial practice from the inception of the case to resolution by settlement or trial and through any appeal. Ms. Sotak is committed to achieving the best, most efficient result in every case, and her clients enjoy her “get it done” attitude and appreciate both her responsiveness and passion for the matter at hand.
- First-chaired a week long bench trial in the Northern District of Illinois and obtained a take-nothing judgment in favor of title insurer on $3.5 million claim by developer for zoning defect under a zoning endorsement.
- Obtained summary judgment for a life insurance company on breach of contract and bad faith claims in Oklahoma where beneficiary claimed over $1 million in damages beyond policy proceeds.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of employer on seventy-eight claims for overtime compensation and defeated collective action under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Played a key role in defense of a multidistrict products liability class action against vehicle manufacturer, resulting in the court’s denial of nation-wide or state-wide class certification in ten cases.
- Represented a putative class of structured settlement beneficiaries seeking the reformation of factoring transactions.
- JD, Southern Methodist University, magna cum laude, 2002
Order of the Coif, 2002
Staff Member and Editor, SMU Law Review Association, 2000-2002
- BA, Texas A&M University, 1998
- Named a Texas Rising Star (Texas Monthly, 2009 - 2015)
- State Bar of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
- Texas Young Lawyer Association
- The Patrick E. Higginbotham American Inn of Court, Dallas, Texas
Publications / Speaking Engagements
- Co-author, Annual Survey of Texas Law - Texas Civil Procedure, SMU Law Review, 2016